Monday 26 May 2014

What I wanna Study...

Often times I am asked a silly question of what it is I want to study, to eventually write about. I find myself going back the fifth grade where I was introduced to the English Monarchy. Since then I have always been so very fascinated. I don't know if the appeal of the monarchy is the drama of it or the simple fact that we in the US do not have royals. I am not so into the scandals, ie who slept with what cousin..blah blah. I am more interested in the politics. The stories behind the people wearing the crown or claiming to have a stake in the crown.
I was in the mood to watch a period peace so I watched a mini series on Elizabeth I. I have to say she must have been a complicated woman. A lonely woman mainly, but extremely intelligent. and complicated I might want to study her only to know what made her tick.
Hell even Elizabeth II is interesting in her own rod iron back way.
My fingers are already itching to write something in that period with some kind of scandal! The inspiration from real life is something one can simply not make up.
I mean Elizabeth and her cousin Mary, going back and forth over who was a heretic! The fight over a crown from brother to brother is gold when trying to come up with something new.
I am getting inspired now while thinking about it!
Of course this all makes me think of Game of Thrones. All the backstabbing, and undermining is something I don't know if I could ever come up with. I find myself deconstructing the story while watching it just to try and figure out a way I could come up with something just as compelling. Even though I hate using an outline, I am finding it is very important when trying to keep ideas strait. Or even to keep them consistent. Of course a map wouldn't hurt...HBO! Sorry side note that I really need a map for Game Of Thrones...I don't wanna navigate my computer during the show.
So the challenge this week is to come up with a complicated character that is both likable and hated. Kind of like the love hate relationship I have with Jamie Lanaster.
I'm off to start that journey wish me luck and Keep It Nerdy!!!



References

Martin, George R.R. Game Of Thrones. Bantam Books, 1996. Print.
"Winter is Coming." Game of Thrones. HBO. New York. 17 April, 2011. Television. 


No comments:

Post a Comment